Do you know about this FABULOUS couple? Three times a week they review children’s books on their podcast, Just One More Book (taped in an Ottawa coffee shop!). Mark and Andrea were the *first* (and, to date, the only) people in Canada to acknowledge my award-winning picture book, Bird. You can find their review on the right–at the top of my book trailers. You can also go to the Reviews page on this blog and find links to the two-part interview Mark conducted with me while I was in Toronto late last year. In addition to their podcast, Mark and Andrea also put out a newsletter, and here’s a glimpse of their latest. Please show this couple some love–they deserve it!
Web Savvy for Publishers
Our own Mark Blevis is teaming up with Greg Pincus to deliver a series of free webcasts that will give , publicists, authors, illustrators and enthusiasts social media savvy for outreach and promotion. Don’t miss the first four free sessions:
Finding the Conversation: Who’s talking about you and what they are saying (
- Twitter: More than “What are you doing?” (REGISTER)
- REGISTER) Bloggers/Podcasters are People, Too: Engaging with the social media community (
- REGISTER) Remarkable use of the Internet to promote books and the people behind them (
Help Us Spread the Word
As the completely un-sponsored hobby project of 2 busy, full-time working parents, JustOneMoreBook!! only reaches as far as our enthusiastic supporters can take it. So, anything you can do to raise awareness of our show would be much appreciated.
Thank you, in advance, for your efforts to help us promote family literacy and great books.
Looking for a fun literacy activity? Get your students to record and send us two-minute audio reviews of their favourite (or most recently read) books. We’re always happy to include little (or big) listeners in our show.
August has been a big month for Just One More Book!! On August 18th we were featured in a fantastic article, Ottawa Couple Picking Up Book Coverage Slack, by Suzanne Gardner for , Canada’s Magazine of Book News and Reviews. And, we have a testimonial on the back of Professor Thomas Wartenberg‘s new book, Big Ideas for Little Kids, which is available as of August 28th.
Around the Kidlit Community
- How has reading changed your life? Share your story — Franki and Mary Lee at A Year of Reading are hosting a Local Gallery as part of NCTE’s National Day on Writing Celebration — and you can be part of it. Get all the details here.
- The Cybils are coming! The Cybils are coming! Watch this spot for one of the annual highlights of the Kidlitosphere calendar.
- For the latest in literacy and reading-related events; raising readers; literacy and reading programs and research; 21st Century literacies; grants, sponsorships and donations; and new resources, be sure to check out the weekly Children’s Literacy and Reading News Round-up, brought to us by Jen Robinson’s Book PageScrub-a-Dub-Tub blog.
- If you blog about children’s books; write or illustrate children’s books; comment at blogs about children’s books; or read blogs about children’s books, you won’t want to miss the Third Annual Kidlitosphere Conference.