Susan over at Color Online is asking folks to fill out this brief questionnaire to determine how widely you read…
1. Name the last book by a female author that you’ve read: The Door of No Return by Sharon Mussi
2. Name the last book by an African or African-American author that you’ve read: The Shadow Speaker by Nnedi Okorafor-Mbachu
3. Name one from a Latino/a author. Junot Diaz, The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
4. How about one from an Asian country or Asian-American? The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga
5. What about a GLBT writer? This one’s tough, b/c I don’t know if all authors are open about their sexuality. To my knowledge, the last book by an LGBT author that I read was Shimmer by Sarah Schulman, and that would have been summer of 08. If poetry counts, then I read a book of poems by my friend Rosamond King, At My Belly and My Back, earlier this year.
6. Why not name an Israeli/Arab/Turk/Persian writer, if you’re feeling lucky? I read The Saddlebag by Bahiyyih Nakhjavani last summer
7. Any other “marginalized” authors you’ve read lately? Right now I’m reading Gringolandia by Lyn Miller-Lachmann, which was published recently by a small literary press (Curbside).